Anne Frank: Diary
Word Count: 518
From The Diary of Anne Frank
“Yet we shall have our jokes and tease each other, when these horrors have faded a bit in our minds. It won't do us any good, or help those outside, to go on being as gloomy as we are at the moment … And if I want to laugh about something, should I stop myself quickly and feel ashamed that I am cheerful? Ought I then to cry the whole day long? No, that I can't do” (291).
“Oh, if I could nestle my head against his shoulder and not feel so hopelessly alone and deserted” (297).
“Then I fall asleep with a stupid feeling of wishing to be different from what I am or from what I want to be; perhaps to behave differently from the way I want to behave, or do behave” (292).
This excerpt of the Diary of Anne Frank felt both sobering and normal. Anne writes about something that no one would ever have to go through in such a nonchalant way. It felt very human because of the range of emotions she felt during this. She felt anger, loneliness, fear but also happiness. Anne Frank also seems to be a very good writer and very mature for her age while still feeling like we are reading the work of a child.
The most interesting aspect of these diary entries for me was the emotions she felt and how her situation became somewhat normal to her. She discusses her situation quite a lot but it does feel like it is mostly for the purpose of the background behind her feelings. But her perspective gives great insight into what was happening behind the scenes during the Holocaust. Anne was often angry at the Germans because she recognized their horrific actions and because she was being directly affected by them. Anne understood that she was one of the few Jews who had a hiding place and when she deeply thought about the suffering of other Jews she began to feel guilty. Anne had ‘survivor's guilt’, she felt bad for being able to still enjoy moments throughout her day without the constant fear especially when she was reminded of these gruesome stories. But she, very maturely, came to the conclusion that this guilt was of no help to anyone and she rejected it; instead they passed the time telling jokes and trying to have fun.
But Anne also experienced loneliness and a desire to be someone else to avoid this situation. As with many historical events, I think we often forget that these things actually happened to real people who experienced real fear and pain and Anne’s story really puts that into perspective. I think the fact that she was a child writing this helps with this fact because it reminds us that if a child was going through this situation and felt all of these things, that it could have happened to anyone. Anne Frank’s diary reminds readers not only of the historical importance of these events and what actually happened but of the emotional and physical impact that it made on the people involved.
Anne Frank did seem very mature for her age - both through her thoughts and actions that she writes about and through her writing itself. It is fascinating how such a young girl was able to understand and cope with the situation she was put in while also maintaining a level head about it.
ReplyDelete