Santha Rama Rau: Gifts of Passage

 Word Count: 445

From Gifts of Passage by Santha Rama Rau

“I don't suppose he was in love with her – I don't suppose he thought in such terms – but she was undeniably his most cherished possession. She was a beautiful ornament, and even if she wasn't a particularly talented or economical housekeeper, still, he didn't seem to mind although he made quite a point of childing or disparaging her in public” (678). 

“None of the family took this announcement seriously. My grandmother didn't believe the part about the job at all, but she was, on the whole, rather pleased that Radha could afford to be so offhand about her marriage. Too great an eagerness for a husband was scarcely becoming in a girl, and, besides, having a marriageable daughter sought after rather than seeking put the family in a strong position” (681).

In the second story, Santha and Gita are obsessed with ghosts and she discusses the original ghost story she heard from her family. I asked myself why she wrote about this obsession with ghosts and I think it was because of the effect that the story had on her. This old man, in his last few years, saved enough money to marry the prettiest girl in the village, but this girl was significantly younger than him. She was unfaithful to him and when he found her and her lover, he chased her and accidently knocked her down a well. 

I think the point is a commentary on how marriage works in her culture. She comments that the old man's marriage was not for love but for appearances and it caused damage and hurt. The young wife felt lonely and homesick and then the old man was not held responsible in any way for her death. In fact she says, “Her husband, to whom we assigned no guilt” (679). I think Santha, looking back, can see how damaging this idea is and also how her cousin Radha could have been a victim of this system. 

Radha however, did not desire marriage like society wanted her to, she wanted to have a job and be independent. The response to this statement however, informs that marriage was expected for girls. There is almost like a double standard where marriage is expected but they cannot want it too much or they would not be desirable and would not, in turn, put their family in  a strong position. Marriage was an economical strategy almost and women were expected to do this to help their family. But if they hated their husband, nothing could be done, and it would in fact be called ingratitude. This mindset could potentially hurt women, like in the story, but Radha refused to take part. 


Comments

  1. It seems to be a common theme throughout these readings that marriage is an economical strategy and is very transactional. I can't imagine being stuck in an unhappy marriage as a result of the social norms and I think it's quite admirable how Radha refuses to conform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy that so many people were wed for status or financial reasons and not for love. I also agree that there is definitely a double standard where women are expected to marry but must not desire marriage.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Emilie Carles: A Life of her Own

Onnie Lee Logan: Motherwit

Nina Berberova: The Italics Are Mine